Clinicals During COVID: My time at Kessler

My Clinical Experience at Kessler by Reilly Smyth '19, '21G 

I had the remarkable opportunity to work at Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation in Saddle Brook, New Jersey for my last clinical education experience.

Kessler is an acute rehabilitation hospital that was founded in 1948 by Dr. Henry H. Kessler. Doctor Kessler was an orthopedic surgeon during World War II, and his medical experience during the war inspired him to create a new rehabilitation model that focused on “the whole individual". He believed that the model must help the individual “successfully regain physical, mental, social, vocational and economic usefulness to the fullest possible degree."

Kessler is an acute care hospital in New Jersey
founded in 1948. 

This is the Saddle Brook campus where I worked from January to March 2021. The facility had rehabilitation floors in the following areas: orthopedic, traumatic injury, cancer, cardiac, amputee, neurologic, brain injury, and stroke rehabilitation. Most of my time was on the general, orthopedic, traumatic, and cancer floors mainly, but I worked with patients on all the floors. I treated COVID-19 recovery patients and was surprised how each patient exhibited different symptoms with varying levels of severity. I treated a wide variety of patient demographics ranging from a variety of ages, gender, diagnosis, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic status. Each patient had their own unique story which made treatment sessions challenging, but extremely rewarding. It allowed me to construct creative interventions that catered to each patient’s situation.

Colonel is ready for work!
He knows 40 commands and
participates in therapy sessions. 

Walking in on my first day, I was greeted by a happy, tail-wagging dog named Colonel. Colonel, with his buddies Paloi and Efron, are raised by the Canine Companions for Independence program (CPI) to be future therapy, service, hearing, or facility dogs. I co-treated with Colonel, Paoli, and Efron for several of my patients to help our patients increase standing tolerance, balance, and walking. It was amazing to see how the dogs calmed and motivated my patients during their sessions. Working with Colonel and his friends have inspired me to one day become a handler.

Kessler was a place of learning and mentorship as well. There were weekly PT clinical chats in the mornings, weekly in-services, and monthly patient case studies. Kessler also provided student lecture series on each specialty. I took advantage of this opportunity by going to each lecture and discussing the topics with my clinical instructor (CI). The clinical education department at Kessler also had the students go through equipment and technology checks (overhead harness systems for gait training, Hoyer lifts, etc.). My CI was fantastic; she challenged me every day, and I learned so much from her. We would do co-treats with senior therapists for more involved patients, and with other therapies like OT and speech. All the therapists, nurses, aides, MDs, and staff were friendly and welcomed me with open arms.

One of my most memorable experiences was working with an 18-year-old young man who suffered liver/spleen laceration, and rib, femur, ulna, radius, and wrist fractures after a car accident. He was initially admitted to the ICU where he was in an induced coma and needed help breathing. His goals after Kessler were to finish his senior year of high school and to apply to colleges. We worked on treadmill training using the overhead harness systems, gait training with music, activities with the facility dogs, and dual-task activities to get him back home. By the end of his stay at Kessler, he was independent with walking and stairs using one axillary crutch.

My time in New Jersey wasn't all work, I had time to explore the area!

Grandma Pizza is a delicious
North NJ thin-crust square
pie with San Marzano
tomatoes, marinara sauce,
mozzarella, and parmesan
cheese.  

My CI’s husband owns 3 Italian restaurants in northern New Jersey. I went to his restaurant in Nutley, New Jersey called Cucina 355. Best penne vodka I have ever had, and I was introduced to “Grandma Pizza”. “Grandma Pizza” is an exclusive north New Jersey style pizza. It is a thin crust square pie with San Marzano tomatoes, marinara sauce, and topped with mozzarella, and parmesan cheese. For any of you Dave Portnoy fans, I would rate it a 9.5/10 (aka, chef’s kiss). Jersey bagels also lived up to the hype by my co-workers. I suggest trying a “Taylor Ham” breakfast sandwich on an everything bagel, and I promise you will not be disappointed.

Besides eating my way through New Jersey, I also ventured to the beach. Despite being January, I drove 2 hours south to Long Branch beach for the day, and it still blew me away. The boardwalk had cute shops and restaurants around it as well. New Jersey parks were popular in each town, so I was able to run and hike in various nature parks. Another perk was NYC was just a 50-minute train ride away! It was great for exploring on the weekends. Times Square, Central Park, and The Edge were some of my favorite spots.

Overall, this was my favorite clinical education. I met and worked with phenomenal therapists, and I learned so much. Before this internship, I was unsure what setting I wanted to work in. However, this clinical showed me that acute rehab is the direction I want to go in after I graduate this May. I am extremely grateful and thankful for this experience.

Comments

Popular Posts