PT Students Participate in Special Olympics Fun Fitness Screening

Fun Fitness Screening 

The Fun Fitness Screening event at the Special Olympics Bocce Tournament was a win-win, supporting the Special Olympic athletes and providing more experiential learning for Nazareth physical therapy and occupational therapy students.

PT students take a break from completing Fun-Fitness screenings at the Special Olympics
Bocce Tournament on Saturday, September 25, 2021


Hannah Smoker '20, 22G administers the Functional
Reach Test with an athlete
Says Hannah Smoker '20, '22G: "We screened Special Olympics participants in the areas of strength, flexibility, balance, and aerobic fitness. Based on their scores in each area, we identified the major areas to address and provided the participants with education on exercises to do at home. I gained communication skills as I worked with the participants through testing and education on healthy exercise habits. It was great to be able to use the PT skills I have learned in a fun way to help the participants." 

Physical therapy student Laurin Furlong '22, '24G, agrees. "Volunteering for the Special Olympics Fun Fitness Screening was such a great learning experience! We were able to put our clinical skills to the test, hone in on communication skills, and screen the athletes in a variety of ways. The brief encounters I had with each athlete were so positive and uplifting that I had fun while practicing what I've been taught in my coursework so far. I learned a lot about Fun Fitness and the Special Olympics, as well as how PTs fulfill their roles in working with Special Olympic athletes!"

Laurin Furlong '22, '24G tests the grip strength of an 
athlete during a break in the Bocce action
Devon Platzer '20,'22G measures an athlete's
shoulder flexibility












Devon Platzer '20, '22 G adds: "As a high school senior, I ultimately decided to go to Naz because of the plans for the GTC and potential opportunities with Special Olympics! With the past year being as crazy as it’s been, it was amazing to finally fulfill one of my goals. I learned a lot about how to help someone feel comfortable on an exam table and better ways to explain educational pieces to athletes! Not only was it a learning experience for me, it was also a nice reminder of why I am so excited for my future profession; I have the ability to help people do the things they love."

Peter Spegar '22, '24G (left) and 
Aletha Jackon '22G (right) measuring
hamstring flexibility
Jordan Kelly '20, '22G measuring ankle flexibility 








Read more about the Golisano Training Center and how Nazareth students work with Special Olympics athletes



Comments

Popular Posts